Skip to main content

Days 9

Modern day death note. Nine days in and I cant help but think of the possible topics I can write here just by looking at my previous entries. At the same time, I cant help but also think of the possible trouble I can have. These days I feel like using the internet is scary. There is only a thin line that protects the privacy that you used to abuse when it was still new and everyone was still trying it out for the first time. These days I am so afraid of using facebook for status updates because of the many reports of cyber bullying and the media actually condoning it. When people see something they think is offensive to them, they go into a sharing frenzy to the point that it gets featured in the news, and soon they would even announce your identity in national television.

It was so unlike around ten or five years ago. I remember back when making your own website was something that meant writing in code, and you want to try it out in free hosting sites that have a lot of limitations. You can write whatever you want and no one would care. You are so anonymous that you are free to do whatever you want. You can even create a hate site and get away with it. Now, evenly  if you have a different web name some hackers can track your IP, discover your identity and announce it to the world in mere seconds. How many more people would be publicly shamed in facebook or twitter before all this madness ends? There used to be a large amount of tolerance in the internet.

I feel like this is a real life version of death note. You know? Back when Light was just starting they started out with the really bad murderers, the ones with heinous crimes and everyone was admiring him for it. But then before long, they were even punishing people with minor crimes. And then you realize that people from the start have their own flaws and if we start attacking every person who has flaws then there wouldnt be anyone left here. I hope that one day, we all realize that it really wouldnt make sense to put all our efforts in condemning people in the internet. Give them a chance to explain themselves or redeem what they did wrong, and dont judge them automatically on one action alone. 

If that happens, then it would be the best thing to happen in the internet all over again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3 (remake)

I decided to rewrite this in the same theme because, well yesterday I celebrated the birthday of my two cats Alice and Catherine Some people may say its weird. A lot would assume that it’s not a big deal. When I was younger, things like this may not have mattered. But then today it’s a different story.

Days 14

Less than a year to go before the presidential elections and he media has started a coverage frenzy on who would be the potential candidates. When I was younger I feel so hyped out whenever this period happens and even though I am too young to vote, I was still excited. Now, more than three elections later, times have changed, I have witnessed a lot of those politicians say their piece, have their chance in the limelight, be suddenly forgotten, eat their words, join a former rival group, the works. I've somehow develped an apathy towards them. Like no matter who the politicians would be, it would not make a difference. They are all one and the same. They would cheat, change sides, do some shameless advertising, all for he sake of a win. All for the sake of money. I've seen them unravel their true sides. The ones you thought were heroes were just as controversial as the villain they were trying to fight. It was all a matter of perspective. The oned who reveal the information to ...

Days 16

You may have one of those things in your past. When you were young and you thought that you are free to do anything in the world. When you felt like every moment should be seized and every dream should be fulfilled. These days it can easily be described as YOLO. You know, you only live once. But then one day you wake up all grown up and have taken a few responsibilites here and there, with the wisdom enough to do better than use Yolo as an excuse. And then, on one fateful day you see the remnants of what you did in the past and just have a look of disbelief and suddenly ask yourself what really made you do it in the first place. You know, the after effects of those wild things you did when you were young and free. I happened to have that same experience today, and it was equally shocking as the last time I had it. Still, many people can consider me a late bloomer. I was right in that. In my student days, I studied like my life depended on it and literally had no time to dawdle around o...